Many of the ministry opportunities available to you at Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church have not been mentioned. Here is where you will learn:
- Our youth participate actively as Acolytes, our lay adults actively participate as Scripture Readers/Lay Ministers.
- Our Altar Guild is busy with altar care for two weekly services with full communion.
- We are greeted at the door by warm welcoming handshakes by our Greeters.
- The Eucharistic Ministry meets quarterly. They assist in calling on and bringing communion to members in the hospital and those who are unable to attend church.
- We are active supporters of Habitat for Humanity and have recently completed our fourth home built in cooperation with other Lutheran, Methodist, and Presbyterian churches.
- A special ministry is in place for the elderly in our area nursing homes.
- Are you being called to share the Gospel with children? The Children's Sermon is a fun, challenging, and rewarding ministry.
- Summer time is not complete without Vacation Bible School... Area churches join together to give the children memorable VBS programs..
What are you called to do? A place is waiting for you in the parish life of Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church in Charleston, WV.
Another word for “Holy Communion” is “Eucharist”. Eucharist means “to give thanks”. We have a team of Eucharist Ministers at Trinity that take Holy Communion to our homebound and hospitalized who can’t get to worship services. On a typical visit the Eucharistic minister reads scripture, offers prayers, and brings the bread and wine, the body and blood of Christ, to the person.
This year we looked at stewardship as "Living Water". Christ is the source of our living water. this water restores us, replenishes us, and refreshes us to do the will of God. We looked at stewardship through the lens of a telescope not a microscope. Stewardship is more than money. It involves love, trust, commitment and action. Through faith our whole life and being is stewardship. Stewardship is our daily walk with the one who gave himself for us.
CHILDREN'S SERMON MINISTRY
One of the duties of the church is the instruction of the young and the "young at heart'. This ministry is not just for the pastor. This ministry is carried out by many, most of whom are not professional educators. The all share the love of God and children. They want to share the love and knowledge with the young in a way they and others (the young at heart) can more easily understand the gospel of our lord.
Friendly Lutherans is a gathering of the senior members of Trinity as well as other local congregations. Each member brings a dish to pass for a covered dish luncheon. The group meets at 11:30 on the 3rd Wednesday of each month. The first half hour is an opportunity to catch up with friends and family at the gathering. We provide appetizers and beverages during this time of socializing. If you are unable to attend due to transportation issues we have group members who will gladly bring you and take you back home again. At 12:00 we have a prayer to begin our luncheon. during lunch we take up voluntary offering to help offset future gathering expenses.
SUMMER YOUTH GROUP HOSTING
One of our occasional outreach ministries is providing overnight lodging for youth groups on their way to or from summer mission trips. Because Charleston is located within a day’s drive of a large portion of the population of the Eastern United States, we have the ideal location as a stopover for these groups. We have several places in the church where groups can put out their sleeping bags and a well-equipped kitchen where they can prepare their breakfast or snacks. We provide information and directions to local fast food restaurants and carry out/delivery services. If they arrive on Saturday evening and their schedule permits, some also join us for worship on Sunday morning.
Many groups also pick Charleston as it is only an hour from the whitewater rafting and other outdoor adventure activities of the New River Gorge National River. Many of them will use the opportunity to ride the rapids either on the way to their mission site or on their return home. Rosa McKinney meets the groups and co-ordinates this ministry. Contact the church office for more information and to check on available dates.